Are you looking for a job that lets you be your own boss? One that gives you lots of variety, as well as the flexibility to choose when and where you’ll work? How about control over how much you’ll earn? If all of that sounds good, driving for Uber could be the first step towards a more rewarding future.
Thinking about how to drive for Uber? Here’s some information to get you started. (For information on Lyft, check out our How to drive for Lyft page.)
Of all the ridesharing services, Uber is probably the most common. Uber X is for trips in cars with up to four passengers; Uber XL covers trips in larger vehicles (minivans or SUVs) for up to six passengers.
These are the basic Uber driver qualifications. You’ll need:
Another option is Uber Black, an on-demand luxury black car service. Ideal for riders looking to impress, Uber Black cars are higher–end brands such as Audi, BMW, Lexus, and Cadillac.
Uber Pro is an incentive program that rewards Uber drivers with the highest driver ratings and lowest cancellation rates. Drivers can earn Uber Pro reward points if their driver rating is consistently 4.85 stars or higher. Uber Pro also assigns extra reward points for driving during high-demand times, such as weekday rush hours and weekends between 1 am and 5 am.
Uber Pro rewards include higher earnings per ride, cashback at select gas stations when you use Uber Visa Debit, discounts on car maintenance expenses. Uber drivers and their family members can even earn even free college tuition from Arizona State University’s online school!
To drive for Uber, your vehicle must meet the following requirements:
Uber Black car requirements include:
First, you’ll need to sign up with Uber. Next, you’ll need to share your documents. You’ll need copies of your driver’s license, registration, and proof of insurance. Your car needs to be inspected, and you’ll also need to pass a background check. Once your application is approved, you just need to log into the app. That’s it!
Wondering how long does it take to become an Uber driver? The first step, getting your documents approved, is usually pretty quick, within a few days (2-3 is normal). Getting the background check done takes a little longer, about a week. In most cases, if your application is successful, you can expect to be driving for Uber within a couple of weeks.
Wondering about how to become an Uber Black driver? Just like the cars, Uber Black driver requirements are higher-end. Uber Black drivers must have a commercial driver’s license, like taxi drivers, and they must have a permit to work at the airport. In addition, Uber controls the number of Uber Black accounts in each city, so it’s not always possible to apply.
The best way to receive an Uber driver sign up bonus is to use a code when you apply. Look for options such as “invite code,” “promo code” or “referral code.” The signup bonus varies depending on where you’ll be driving. It’s generally higher in larger cities where there’s more demand.
In addition to Uber Pro, Uber offers several different driver incentives, known as Promotions. These are available through the Uber app. Promotions include Quest (earn extra money by completing a set number of trips in a given time) and Consecutive Trips (complete a set number of trips in a row, without canceling, rejecting, or going offline).
On average, Uber drivers in the U.S. earn $19.36/hour nationally. The average Uber driver in the U.S. will earn $40,000 annually if they drive full-time.
Uber fares start with a base amount and go up according to time and distance. These amounts depend on where you live: fares in Los Angeles or San Francisco, for example, will be higher than fares in smaller cities. Uber drivers keep 70 percent of the fares (including tip) for each ride they complete; the remaining 30 percent goes back to Uber.
The best ways to maximize your earnings on Uber are to drive full-time and to drive when demand is highest. This is when Surge Pricing comes into effect, and you can earn two, three, or even four times the standard amount for each ride you complete. To make sure you don’t miss any opportunities to earn this extra cash, you’ll want to turn on Surge notifications in the Uber app.
Here are some other ways to maximize your Uber earnings:
Is driving for Uber part of your plan to build a better future through independent work? Accessing credit can help! It’s easy to create a financial cushion with Moves if the road gets rough. As an Uber driver, you can qualify for line of credit Uber loans instantly! Join thousands of other Uber Drivers that rely on Moves for peace of mind – get started today for free by clicking ‘Apply Now’ above.
And for more up-to-date gig work resources and updates, subscribe to our blog below.
No spam, just good stuff.
Check your email (spam too) for a confirmation from us.